Make the Choice to Prevent Kidney Failure
Tips from MIKE Program and the National Institutes of Health
- Eat a healthful diet
- Move for regular physical activity, at least 30-60 minutes/day
- Avoid harmful products and substance abuse including excess alcohol, tobacco and other drugs
- See your doctor for regular checkups, especially if you or members of your family have high blood pressure, diabetes or kidney disease
- Know your numbers to maintain healthy kidneys (ask your doctor if there are any abnormalities with these numbers):
- Creatinine (blood test)
- Albumin (urine test)
- Blood Pressure
- Remember to know your blood glucose and blood cholesterol, too.
- Follow your doctor’s advice to see a specialist, follow nutritional recommendations, or take medicine.
- Click here to download MIKE Program’s “My Healthy Plate.”
MIKE Program is a partner of the National Institutes of Health and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services National Kidney Disease Education Program.